- Creative Commons Legal Code
- CC0 1.0 Universal CREATIVE COMMONS CORPORATION IS NOT A LAW FIRM AND DOES
- NOT PROVIDE LEGAL SERVICES. DISTRIBUTION OF THIS DOCUMENT DOES NOT CREATE
- AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. CREATIVE COMMONS PROVIDES THIS INFORMATION
- ON AN "AS-IS" BASIS. CREATIVE COMMONS MAKES NO WARRANTIES REGARDING THE USE
- OF THIS DOCUMENT OR THE INFORMATION OR WORKS PROVIDED HEREUNDER, AND DISCLAIMS
- LIABILITY FOR DAMAGES RESULTING FROM THE USE OF THIS DOCUMENT OR THE INFORMATION
- OR WORKS PROVIDED HEREUNDER.
- Statement of Purpose
- The laws of most jurisdictions throughout the world automatically confer exclusive
- Copyright and Related Rights (defined below) upon the creator and subsequent
- owner(s) (each and all, an "owner") of an original work of authorship and/or
- a database (each, a "Work").
- Certain owners wish to permanently relinquish those rights to a Work for the
- purpose of contributing to a commons of creative, cultural and scientific
- works ("Commons") that the public can reliably and without fear of later claims
- of infringement build upon, modify, incorporate in other works, reuse and
- redistribute as freely as possible in any form whatsoever and for any purposes,
- including without limitation commercial purposes. These owners may contribute
- to the Commons to promote the ideal of a free culture and the further production
- of creative, cultural and scientific works, or to gain reputation or greater
- distribution for their Work in part through the use and efforts of others.
- For these and/or other purposes and motivations, and without any expectation
- of additional consideration or compensation, the person associating CC0 with
- a Work (the "Affirmer"), to the extent that he or she is an owner of Copyright
- and Related Rights in the Work, voluntarily elects to apply CC0 to the Work
- and publicly distribute the Work under its terms, with knowledge of his or
- her Copyright and Related Rights in the Work and the meaning and intended
- legal effect of CC0 on those rights.
- 1. Copyright and Related Rights. A Work made available under CC0 may be protected
- by copyright and related or neighboring rights ("Copyright and Related Rights").
- Copyright and Related Rights include, but are not limited to, the following:
- i. the right to reproduce, adapt, distribute, perform, display, communicate,
- and translate a Work;
- ii. moral rights retained by the original author(s) and/or performer(s);
- iii. publicity and privacy rights pertaining to a person's image or likeness
- depicted in a Work;
- iv. rights protecting against unfair competition in regards to a Work, subject
- to the limitations in paragraph 4(a), below;
- v. rights protecting the extraction, dissemination, use and reuse of data
- in a Work;
- vi. database rights (such as those arising under Directive 96/9/EC of the
- European Parliament and of the Council of 11 March 1996 on the legal protection
- of databases, and under any national implementation thereof, including any
- amended or successor version of such directive); and
- vii. other similar, equivalent or corresponding rights throughout the world
- based on applicable law or treaty, and any national implementations thereof.
- 2. Waiver. To the greatest extent permitted by, but not in contravention of,
- applicable law, Affirmer hereby overtly, fully, permanently, irrevocably and
- unconditionally waives, abandons, and surrenders all of Affirmer's Copyright
- and Related Rights and associated claims and causes of action, whether now
- known or unknown (including existing as well as future claims and causes of
- action), in the Work (i) in all territories worldwide, (ii) for the maximum
- duration provided by applicable law or treaty (including future time extensions),
- (iii) in any current or future medium and for any number of copies, and (iv)
- for any purpose whatsoever, including without limitation commercial, advertising
- or promotional purposes (the "Waiver"). Affirmer makes the Waiver for the
- benefit of each member of the public at large and to the detriment of Affirmer's
- heirs and successors, fully intending that such Waiver shall not be subject
- to revocation, rescission, cancellation, termination, or any other legal or
- equitable action to disrupt the quiet enjoyment of the Work by the public
- as contemplated by Affirmer's express Statement of Purpose.
- 3. Public License Fallback. Should any part of the Waiver for any reason be
- judged legally invalid or ineffective under applicable law, then the Waiver
- shall be preserved to the maximum extent permitted taking into account Affirmer's
- express Statement of Purpose. In addition, to the extent the Waiver is so
- judged Affirmer hereby grants to each affected person a royalty-free, non
- transferable, non sublicensable, non exclusive, irrevocable and unconditional
- license to exercise Affirmer's Copyright and Related Rights in the Work (i)
- in all territories worldwide, (ii) for the maximum duration provided by applicable
- law or treaty (including future time extensions), (iii) in any current or
- future medium and for any number of copies, and (iv) for any purpose whatsoever,
- including without limitation commercial, advertising or promotional purposes
- (the "License"). The License shall be deemed effective as of the date CC0
- was applied by Affirmer to the Work. Should any part of the License for any
- reason be judged legally invalid or ineffective under applicable law, such
- partial invalidity or ineffectiveness shall not invalidate the remainder of
- the License, and in such case Affirmer hereby affirms that he or she will
- not (i) exercise any of his or her remaining Copyright and Related Rights
- in the Work or (ii) assert any associated claims and causes of action with
- respect to the Work, in either case contrary to Affirmer's express Statement
- of Purpose.
- 4. Limitations and Disclaimers.
- a. No trademark or patent rights held by Affirmer are waived, abandoned, surrendered,
- licensed or otherwise affected by this document.
- b. Affirmer offers the Work as-is and makes no representations or warranties
- of any kind concerning the Work, express, implied, statutory or otherwise,
- including without limitation warranties of title, merchantability, fitness
- for a particular purpose, non infringement, or the absence of latent or other
- defects, accuracy, or the present or absence of errors, whether or not discoverable,
- all to the greatest extent permissible under applicable law.
- c. Affirmer disclaims responsibility for clearing rights of other persons
- that may apply to the Work or any use thereof, including without limitation
- any person's Copyright and Related Rights in the Work. Further, Affirmer disclaims
- responsibility for obtaining any necessary consents, permissions or other
- rights required for any use of the Work.
- d. Affirmer understands and acknowledges that Creative Commons is not a party
- to this document and has no duty or obligation with respect to this CC0 or
- use of the Work.